What is Inbound Marketing?
In a world that thrives on instant gratification, it’s no surprise that growth hacking has become such a prominent technique. After all, hacks help us achieve our goals in a quicker, more efficient way than traditional tactics.
Inbound marketing hacks are no different. It’s pretty much the process of helping potential customers find your company—before they are even looking to make a purchase—and then turning that early awareness into brand preference, and ultimately, into leads and revenue.
Gone are the days that a marketer only relied on outbound techniques like trade shows, cold calling, and advertisements to get leads. Today’s buyer is in control. According to Forrester, buyers seek out three pieces of content about a vendor for every one piece sent by a marketer, and for every one piece sent by sales. Because of buyer self-education, your job as a marketer is to be heard through the noise and come up with new ways for leads to find you. To be a marketer in today’s world, you need a solid grasp of inbound in order to truly amplify your lead generation impact.
Inbound marketing is the practice of creating, managing and optimizing incoming traffic to a site from external sources and channels. Inbound marketing is typically made up of marketing tactics including search engine optimization, content marketing, influencer relations, social marketing and more. Inbound marketing differs from outbound marketing in that it focuses on getting in front of users through organic marketing efforts, where as outbound marketing is typically more traditional paid marketing such as search engine marketing, paid advertising and more.
How do you do that? You need to create interest by offering a relevant mix of informative and entertaining content that builds a meaningful relationship with your audience.
Here are some quick hacks:
- Write in-depth content – You content should add value to your reader. Create content for your clients not for search engines.. anyway, search engines love that.
- Recycle content into multimedia – Stop wasting perfectly good concepts on just one form of media. Take an old blog and make it in to a video, a slide share, an infographic.. why not?
- Follow the “Rule of Seven” with your marketing -The idea that you need seven interactions with a lead before introducing a paid service or product.
So.. identify the point of initial contact and then create a workflow of seven interactions built around that first meeting in order to build a rapport. To truly make this hack work, use marketing automation to initiate some of the early interactions in the funnel.
- Collaborate with industry experts – Industry experts are those who have already built an audience and hold authority in your industry. Use their power and popularity to reach your audience. In other words, ride their credibility wave.
- Don’t create viral content, curate it – Curating content others have already created is a great way to gain traffic, add value and convert readers
- Give Away A Free Guide That Is Directly Related To Your Company – You’re the expert so why not create something that will help your clients out. Guides are very shareable as well.
- Pick One Or Two Keywords, And Optimize The Heck Out Of Them
Inbound marketing is nearly synonymous with “SEO.” So, how do you “do SEO?” There’s a lot to know. One of the most important features of SEO, however, is the power of keywords. In order to successfully gain traffic for relevant keywords, you have to use those keywords on your site.
Here’s a great video from Hubspot Academy to explain a little more about Inbound Marketing and a few more tips.